Wilderness Tourism Licensing Information

The Yukon Wilderness Tourism Licensing Act came into effect in 1999 to regulate the wilderness tourism industry. Anyone or any businesses that takes clients into the Yukon wilderness and is paid for their services must have a Yukon Wilderness Tourism License. This license allows an operator to guide commercial wilderness trips on Yukon lands and waters outside national parks and is valid from May 1 through April 30 every year.

General requirements of a Yukon Wilderness Tourism License include:

  • Compliance with Yukon business registration.
  • Compliance with Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board requirements.
  • Standard first aid and level "C" cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificates for all guides accompanying clients
  • $1,000,000 public liability insurance coverage.
  • Reporting

There is a $100 annual fee, and license holders are required to report bi-annually to maintain their licenses.

Applications forms are available at Environment Yukon field offices throughout the territory. For information on wilderness tourism licensing or to fill out a license application, please visit this website page. Don't forget to this the "Next" button for the second page of details.

Questions regarding the Wilderness Tourism License can be directed to:

By phone at...
Toll free (in Yukon): 1-800-661-0408 extension 5648

By email at...

In person at...
2071 - 9029 Quartz Road, Whitehorse, Yukon

By mail to...
Government of Yukon
Wilderness Tourism Licensing Act Registrar (V-4)
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 2C6

Visitors planning a trip are encouraged to check the Current List of Licensed Operators.  Please note that some operators may purchase their licenses at different times of the depending on the seasons that they operate in.