Insurance Info

Wilderness tourism operators are required to carry $1,000,000 public liability insurance coverage to be licensed in the Yukon.
The CTC's Risk Management and Insurance Guide for Tourism Operators [pdf: 244 KB]Get Acrobat Reader contains industry-specific risk management tools that can be applied practically by business in all tourism sectors. The guide also provides risk management best practices for the tourism industry that the CTC expects will enhance the capability of tourism operators to manage and insure their prominent business risks.

The Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC)'s publication, Insurance Tutorials for Outdoor Tourism Businesses [pdf 650 KB]Get Acrobat Reader prepared for the CTC by Gilles Valade, KIMPA Enterprises (December 31, 2003).

WTAY recommends the book, Legal Liability and Risk Management in Adventure Tourism by Ross Cloutier, published by Bhudak Consultants Ltd. of Kamloops, BC in 2000.

The Tourism Industry Resource Centre 100 Hanson Street in Whitehorse (867-667-5036) has copies of the above publications and many other useful resources.

Members of the Wilderness Tourism Association of the Yukon receive a free sample Indemnity Agreement and Waiver provided by Ross Cloutier, instructor of the legal liability and risk management seminars regularly offered by WTAY.   Watch the WTAY newsletters for more information!